Whether you call it the Pearl of Africa or the land of matooke, you are right because Uganda is has all reason to fit these names. It is a popular African safari destination with incredible landscapes, amazing biodiversity and a warm climate that not only is sweet for relaxations and work but also contributes to production of food in abundance. Occupying a total area of 241,551 sq.km which includes land and water bodies, Uganda is a small landlocked country but home to the best and most attractive wildlife and features.
Uganda boasts a wide range of natural resources and one of those that attract numerous tourists to the country is wildlife. Uganda’s wildlife features a unique arrangement of vegetation along with a variety of animals. They include primates like mountain gorillas, chimpanzees, golden monkey and baboons, big cats such as lions, leopards and cheetah, the giant savannah elephants and forest elephants, lots of cape buffaloes, different kinds of antelopes not forgetting the elegant zebras and giraffes.
To conserve the natural wildlife in Uganda, it is protected in areas national parks, wildlife reserves, wildlife management areas and wildlife sanctuaries.
National Parks in Uganda
Uganda has 10 national parks which are managed by Uganda Wildlife Authority. They include;
- Murchison falls national park-the largest national park inn Uganda with plenty of game, birds, reptiles, primates and spectacular landscapes like the Murchison falls.
- Queen Elizabeth national park- the second largest national park I the country with a rich biodiversity and a variety of craters. It is famously known for tree climbing lion.
- Bwindi Impenetrable forest National Park-this is the world’s prime gorilla trekking destination with almost half of the remaining population of mountain gorillas.
- Mgahinga national park- another beautiful forested slopes of the Virunga volcanoes with a significant population of mountain gorillas. Besides gorilla trekking, visitors enjoy hiking in this park.
- Kidepo valley national park- CNN recommends it for travelers seeking an adventure of true wilderness. It is home to ostriches and cheetah in Uganda.
- Kibale national park- the main attraction in Kibale forest are chimpanzees. You are almost guaranteed of finding these primates when you choose to trek them here.
- Lake Mburo national park- flourishing throughout the year along with countless animals. Commonly seen animals are zebras and antelopes.
- Mount Elgon national park- popular for its mountain climbing activities that lead hikers to the largest mountain caldera in the world.
- Semuliki national park- this park has something very unique; the Sempaya hot springs. They consist of the female and male hot springs located a short distance apart.
- Rwenzori mountains national park- go for thrilling hikes on the Rwenzori mountains, the highest mountain Uganda and third highest in Africa. They keep snow on Margherita peak all year round.
Uganda is undoubtedly one of the most gifted countries on the planet. Plan visiting it and discover the wonders that you cannot find elsewhere. We strive to enable our clients get the best of a safari in East Africa a range of luxury, midrange and budget packages to the above national parks to offer the best of a safari in east Africa. To reserve your trip with Mumwe African Skimmer Safaris, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +256-700135510.